Silicon Valley Leadership Group is California’s most dynamic business association. Building on four decades of success in championing the solutions that make Silicon Valley the best place to work and live, we promote solutions focused on fostering business competitiveness and the region’s innovation ecosystem. Collectively, SVLG members provide nearly one of every three private-sector jobs in Silicon Valley and contribute more than $3 trillion to the worldwide economy each year.
This role is based in the SF Bay Area and work from home is available. SVLG does require Covid-vaccination to protect everyone’s health and safety as we move to more in-person activities.
Sr. Associate: Housing and Climate Policy
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group is looking to hire a flexible team player with experience on one or more of the following issues: housing, transportation, energy, and environment. This Sr. Associate role will report to multiple public policy leaders and work alongside colleagues working on a range of policy initiatives including Diversity and Inclusion and Transportation and Housing as well as Energy and Environment.
This person will help lead the organization's internal and external efforts - advancing housing, transportation, energy, and environmental solutions that benefit our neighborhoods and communities. You’ll work collaboratively with other members of the team including communications and events and with our member companies to execute against programmatic metrics and policy-related goals to catalyze change on a local and regional level.
Support Staff for Policy Committees
- As the support staff for the Leadership Group’s Housing and Community Development and Transportation Policy Committees, engage Leadership Group member companies to develop and execute policies that meet our members’ goals around infrastructure policies related to housing and transportation for Silicon Valley and the nine-county Bay Area.
- As support staff to the Energy and Environment Committees, with significant input from member companies, work on advocacy efforts at the city, county, and regional levels.
- Recommend appropriate policy positions by researching legislation and public policy issues affecting member companies, providing information regarding competing viewpoints, and recommending a position to the Committees.
- Conceive of, explain and seek buy-in for new, proactive policy initiatives to better meet the needs of our member companies and the community.
- Organize and attend in-person (when safe to do so) monthly meetings to keep members informed on policy issues that affect our members and Silicon Valley at the local and regional levels.
Public Policy Advocacy
- Lead the Leadership Group’s endorsement process of local housing developments in Silicon Valley.
- Coordinate with stakeholders and advocate for local land use plans that are the basis for new housing, commercial development, and public infrastructure.
- Contribute to advocacy on local government energy and environmental policies.
- Develop strong relationships with partner organizations and community leaders.
- Develop relationships with key policymakers to help keep them abreast of the Leadership Group’s policy priorities and positions.
- Write letters and provide testimony on the Leadership Group’s positions to appropriate policymakers.
- Assist in developing content for the communications events teams from writing blog posts to planning roundtable discussions.
- Well-developed aptitude for working with larger coalitions towards a common goal. Key to this position will be the ability to develop a collaborative working relationship with elected officials, partner nonprofit organizations, and local jurisdictions in Silicon Valley.
- Public Speaking: secure buy-in for programs, and policy from the Board of Directors composed of Fortune 100 executives and startup CEOs; speak on behalf of the organization at local legislative hearings and other public events.
- Help with logistics and planning for other events for the Health, Housing, and Transportation team and Energy and Environment team as needed.
- Ability to adapt and function in multiple venues – including policy, politics, and communications – as needed.
- 3+ years of direct experience working in public policy and politics on any of the following issues: housing, transportation, energy, and environment.
- 4-year degree preferred OR equivalent work experience – preferably working in public policy
- Established relationships with Bay Area lawmakers, appointed officials, and area business and non-profit executives.
- Expertise in land use, housing, transportation, and/or energy and environmental policy and the ability to monitor and quickly learn about changing policy issues.
- Residence in the Bay Area.
- Self-directed and able to thrive in a hybrid work environment where most work is accomplished remotely.
Benefits: The benefits package includes 14 paid holidays and 12 days of paid vacation to start, medical/dental coverage with a 10% contribution for employee’s coverage, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage provided at no cost, 401K plan with the employer matching.
The salary range for this position is $72,000 to $75,000 depending on experience.
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group recognizes that supporting diversity and inclusion is not just the right thing to do, it’s what makes our region, state, and member organizations among the most successful and innovative in the world. By assembling a team of professionals from all backgrounds, gender identities, and life experiences we are better able to represent to needs of our member organizations as well as our colleagues and community partners.