Director of Transportation Policy
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group (SVLG) is a business organization of hundreds of Silicon Valley’s most dynamic and accomplished companies working to shape the innovation economy of California and the nation. For over 40 years the SVLG has worked to address issues that affect the economic health and quality of life in Silicon Valley. Today the SVLG Is focused on the region’s economic competitiveness with a special focus on the issues of community development, diversity & inclusion, climate change, and infrastructure.
We are currently recruiting a Director of Transportation Policy to join the organization. The position reports to the Sr. Vice President, Transportation, Health and Housing Policy. This is a highly visible role offering an exciting opportunity for the right individual with a passion for this area of public policy. The position does offer some work location flexibility and due to Covid-19, the entire staff is working remotely from home offices. Because of the nature of the role and policy areas, only applicants based in SF Bay Area or Sacramento will be considered. We anticipate a return to some in-person events and meetings in the coming months. SVLG does require COVID vaccination of all staff members.
Scope of Responsibilities
Staff Lead for Policy Committee
- As the staff lead for the Leadership Group’s Transportation Policy Committee, engage Leadership Group member companies to develop and execute a work plan that meets member goals around transportation policy for Silicon Valley and the nine-county Bay Area.
- Recommend appropriate policy positions by researching legislation and public policy issues affecting member companies, providing information regarding competing viewpoints and recommending a position to the Transportation Policy Committee.
- Conceive of, explain and seek buy-in for new, proactive policy initiatives in transportation policy to better meet the needs of our member companies and the community.
- Organize and attend in-person (when safe to do so) monthly meetings to keep members informed on transportation policy issues that affect our members and Silicon Valley at the Local, State, and Federal level.
Public Policy Advocacy
- Occasional travel to Sacramento and Washington DC to advocate for transportation Policy priorities (once such travel is safe again).
- Develop strong relationships with partner organizations and offices.
- Develop relationships with key policymakers to help keep them abreast of the Leadership Group’s policy priorities and positions.
- Write letters and provide testimony on the Leadership Group’s positions to appropriate policymakers.
- Coordinate letters and testimony from Leadership Group member companies and appropriate community groups and associations in support of the Leadership Group’s positions.
- Assist in developing a press strategy on policy and events. Draft and submit Letters to the Editor, Guest Op-eds, social media posts, and video content.
- Well-developed aptitude for working with larger coalitions towards a common goal. Key to this position will be the ability to develop a collaborative working relationship with elected officials, partner nonprofit organizations, and local jurisdictions in Silicon Valley.
- Public Speaking: secure buy-in for programs, policy from Board of Directors composed of Fortune 100 executives and startup CEOs; speak on behalf of the organization at state legislative hearings and other public events.
- Facilitation: direct meetings, roundtables, and workshops for industry executives, with elected and appointed officials.
- Help with logistics and planning for other events for the Health, Housing and Transportation team as needed.
- 3+ years of direct experience working in public policy and politics on transportation policy issues at the County and/or state level.
- Relationships with California/Bay Area lawmakers, appointed officials, and area business and non-profit executives at the California State legislature level are a plus
- Expertise in transportation policy and the ability to monitor and quickly learn about changing policy issues.
Work Location and Vaccination Requirement
The position does offer some work location flexibility and due to Covid-19, the entire staff is working remotely from home offices, however, this role will require in-person attendance at meetings in the Bay Area when restrictions are relaxed and Covid vaccination is required for that reason and as a condition of employment. Our primary office is located near Downtown San Jose and Mineta International Airport.
SVLG provides full medical/dental benefits for the employee (with 10% employee contribution for individual coverage), 12 vacation days annually to start, paid sick leave, Life/ADD insurance, sabbatical, and 401k eligibility upon starting.
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.