Director – Health Policy
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group (SVLG) is a business organization of hundreds of Silicon Valley’s most dynamic and accomplished companies working to shape the innovation economy of California and the nation. For over 40 years the SVLG has worked to address issues that affect the economic health and quality of life in Silicon Valley. Today the SVLG Is focused on the region’s economic competitiveness with a special focus on the issues of community development, diversity & inclusion, climate change, and infrastructure.
We are currently recruiting a Director of Health Policy to join the organization. The position reports to the Sr. Vice President, Transportation, Health and Housing Policy. The position does offer some work location flexibility and due to Covid-19, the entire staff is working remotely from home offices. Our primary office is located near Downtown San Jose and Mineta International Airport.
This is a highly visible role offering an exciting opportunity for the right individual with a passion for this area of public policy.
Scope of Responsibilities
- As the staff lead for the Leadership Group’s Health Policy Committee, engage Leadership Group member companies to develop and execute a work plan that meets member goals around health policy and health equity.
- Recommend appropriate policy positions by researching legislation and public policy issues affecting member companies, providing information regarding competing viewpoints, and recommending a position to the Health Policy Committee.
- Conceive of, explain and seek buy-in for new, proactive health policy initiatives in health policy to better meet the needs of our member companies and the community.
- Organize monthly meetings to keep members informed on health policy issues that affect our members and Silicon Valley at the Local, State, and Federal level. Develop meeting agendas in coordination with committee chairs.
Public Policy Advocacy
- Occasional travel to Sacramento and Washington DC to advocate for Health Policy priorities (once such travel is safe again).
- Develop strong relationships with partner organizations and offices.
- Develop relationships with key policymakers to help keep them abreast of the Leadership Group’s policy priorities and positions.
- Write letters and provide testimony on the Leadership Group’s positions to appropriate policymakers.
- Coordinate letters and testimony from Leadership Group member companies and appropriate community groups and associations in support of the Leadership Group’s position.
- Assist in developing a press strategy on policy and events. Draft and submit Letters to the Editor, Guest Op-eds, social media posts, and video content.
- Develop a collaborative working relationship with elected officials, partner nonprofit organizations, and local jurisdictions in Silicon Valley.
- Public Speaking: secure buy-in for programs, policy from the Board of Directors composed of Fortune 100 executives and startup CEOs; speak on behalf of the organization at state legislative hearings and other public events.
- Facilitation: direct meetings, roundtables, and workshops for industry executives, with elected and appointed officials.
- Help with logistics and planning for other events for the Health, Housing, and Transportation team as needed.
- 5-7 years of direct experience working in public policy and politics on health policy issues at the County and/or state level.
- Relationships with California/Bay Area lawmakers, appointed officials, and area business and non-profit executives at the California State legislature level.
- Expertise in health policy and the ability to monitor and quickly learn about changing policy issues in health policy.
Benefits: The benefits package includes paid holidays and 12 days of paid vacation to start, medical/dental coverage with a 10% contribution for employee’s coverage, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage provided at no cost, 401K plan with employer matching.
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. All employment with the Silicon Valley Leadership Group is At Will.